Years ago I stumbled upon a blog by a girl named Denise in PA and I still randomly check on it since her stuff was interesting and witty to me. The below post is all her, I just didn't want to forget it so I'm posting it here...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In The Alchemist, there's a reason given to explain why people don't always follow their hearts and do what they believe will make them happiest... because we're afraid of disappointment, and sometimes it's easier to convince yourself of your own disinterest than to give in to your heart. Emotion is very rarely practical, and there's certainly a much larger margin for failure. Those are not good odds, no matter the prize. Sometimes, it's difficult to excel in apathy... but so is trying and still not getting out alive, heart intact. However, self preservation is not always a conscious effort on your part:
"We, their hearts, speak more and more softly. We never stop speaking out, but we begin to hope that our words won't be heard: we don't want people to suffer because they don't follow their hearts."
"Why don't people's hearts tell them to continue to follow their dreams?" the boy asked the alchemist.
"Because that's what makes a heart suffer most, and hearts don't like to suffer."
Sad but true. Though, I suppose I have followed my reckless, thoughtless heart quite a few times in the recent past. As for the outcome... who knows. Would I follow it again? For the right reason... person... maybe.
Probably.